In less than 24 hours the world will open yet another chapter of its existence and we will all celebrate the year that was and the year that will be. In less than 24 hours, social media outlets will be flooded with greetings, memes, posts and updates about 2013 and 2014.
Party. Fireworks. Food. Booze. Laughter.
Sadly, the turning of the new year will never end all sad things. Some people somewhere will still be desolate, homeless, famished and poor. But that is the reality we all have lived in ever since.
As I have said, my heart is contented. I could live with the things and the people that I have right now. But I know the Lord will not limit my experience here on earth with just that. Personally, I still have dreams and wishes for myself. I am young and if God wills, I want to venture into many things.
And so for the years to come I pray…
…for a strong, happy and contented heart. I need it because I know that more and more difficult situations will come along and that my faith will continue to be tested.
…for good health for everyone. May we all be kicking and full of energy when 2014 will pour us all the good things that we are supposed to enjoy.
…for a stronger family.
…that everything’s going to be well at work. May I be able to improve myself in the things that I do and may I be able to contribute more for the goals and aspirations we have as a team.
…for more friends to come and for the old ones to stay.
…that this year I could finally build my own house, start my own business, buy my dream DSLR and travel with my wife and kids.
…that I will be able to continue and finish a masters degree.
…that I will have the time to read more, write more, play more and get fit.
…that I will be able to continue training debaters from my almamater and for us to finally realize the dreams we have for the organization.
…for more opportunities to help others.
…for everyone to experience joy and happiness.
Yesterday many iPhone owners were raving about the new operating system for the phone that has defined so many lives and even the way smart phone makers craft their products. The iOS 7 was made available for installing in iPhones (4s and up), iPad Minis and iPads.
When I learned that it’s ready I immediately started installing mine. It took me quite a long time to finish– about 7 hours! Blame it on the bad internet connection in the Hotel where I was.
Since iOS 7 was introduced months back, many techno geeks and phone experts say that the new iOS seems to be losing its luster. Some say it’s not as creative and innovative as it has been during the time Steve Jobs was still alive. Others would say that it would make ones iPhone or iPad just like an Android gadget.
I even saw some friends who already updated theirs to iOS 7 saying that it was bad and they regretted switching from the old one. (And I was like, OMG!!!) I thought twice and even considered canceling the download, but then I thought, if it won’t work this time, for sure, Apple would make some developments and fixes.
After the long wait, finally it was installed and below are my comments:
1. There were many changes ti the point that I lost my calm looking for some things which were usually there using the previous iOS. But a friend told me, if I did not experience that, it means, the changes were not at all substantial. And so I went to my lappie and googled some guides for the new iOS.
2. Sure it looks like an Android platform— if you just look at it! But when you start swiping and doing some stuff, the iPhone feel is still there. The quickness and seamlessness of the response is still the same.
3. It is way too colorful for me.
4. The way they redesigned the icons looks so much like an Android. I would still prefer the classic and solid look of the past iOS. Today, my iPhone is so chic.
5. I like the new tones.
6. I like the new Spotlight Search. Now it can be pulled anywhere in the home screen. Unlike before, you need to swipe to the furthest left. Although, this is one of those things I had a difficult time figuring out.
7. I like the control center. Most things I frequently use are there already.
8. The multitask functionality is way better right now such that you are able to see a preview of the page you are working on. Previously, you only see the icons and you would have to press the icon for sometime before it will dance and be ready for clearing. Today, you only need to swipe the preview up and it’s deleted from its partial memory.
9. Call blocking feature is a wish granted!
10. I lament that the Calendar is not the same as it was. It’s difficult for me to move from dates to dates and see what are the events and schedules that I have.
11. I like how Notification Center though includes your activities for the day. But only for the day… :(
12. Camera filters are awesome!
So far these are the things I can comment about the the new iOS. Please note that the comments above are not comparative to any other smart phones out there. They are based on my personal preferences and how I view the iOS 6 and 7.
I do experience some lag or intermittent freeze. They said it is because iOS7 works optimally for iPhone5 and up. So now I wait for the iPhone 5s to be released in the Philippines so that I can experience iOS 7 at its best.
Overall, I still love the iPhone with the new iOS. Works for me!